Director, Research Laboratory / Research Group Leader
Contact Info: IIJ Research Lab.
Iidabashi Grand Bloom, 2-10-2 Fujimi, Chiyoda-ku Tokyo 102-0071, Japan
phone:+81-3-5205-6464 email:kjc at iijlab dot net
My research focus is on understanding network dynamics from a global view, which contributes to turning the Internet into a simpler, more flexible and more dependable communication infrastructure.
The Internet that is an inter-network of distributed autonomous networks shows surprisingly complex behaviors due to interference of various technologies. For example, a local optimization sometimes has a negative impact to the global system, and such a global impact is often overlooked. We also need to take it into consideration that, even if there is no problem at the moment, it might affect future technical evolution. It is important for the global Internet that we look at technologies with a global perspective, and understand their technical impacts as well as social impacts.
My research projects include measurement of traffic dynamics, and quality of service.
- Traffic measurement from Japanese ISP backbones
- MAWI: Publicly available packet traces from the WIDE backbone
- NECOMA Project (cybersecurity for improved resilience against cyber threats)
- agurim: a traffic monitoring tool by multi-dimensional aggregation
- Network anomaly detection
- Network security analysis
- DNS measurement
- IPv4/IPv6 comparative path analysis
- Network data visualization
- ALTQ (a framework for packet scheduling)
Selected Recent Papers
- Shinyoung Cho, Romain Fontugne, Kenjiro Cho, Alberto Dainotti, Phillipa Gill.
BGP hijacking classification.
TMA 2019. Paris, France. June 2019. (pdf).
- Hamed Haddadi, Vassilis Christophides, Renata Cruz Teixeira, Kenjiro Cho, Shigeya Suzuki, Adrian Perrig. SIOTOME: An Edge-ISP Collaborative Architecture for IoT Security. IEEE IoTSec 2018, April 2018. (pdf).
- Kenjiro Cho. Recursive Lattice Search: Hierarchical Heavy Hitters Revisited. ACM IMC 2017, London, UK, November 2017. (pdf).
- Romain Fontugne, Patrice Abry, Kensuke Fukuda, Darryl Veitch, Kenjiro Cho, Pierre Borgnat, Herwig Wendt. Scaling in Internet Traffic: a 14 year and 3 day longitudinal study, with multiscale analyses and random projections. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol.25(4). pp2152--2165. August 2017. (pdf).
- A board member of the WIDE Project. (2001-)
- A guest professor at Keio University, Environment and Information Studies (2010-2016)
- An adjunct professor at JAIST, School of Information Science. (2002-2016)
- A senior visiting researcher at Keio Research Institute at SFC.
- CoNEXTSteering Committee Member (2008-2011)
- An advisory board member of the OneLab project (2009-2010)
- A board member of Asia Future Internet Forum (2009-)
- A steering committee member of Asian Internet Engineering Conference (AINTEC) (2007-)
- A steering committee member of International Conference on Future Internet Technology (CFI) (2010-)
- Genel Co-Chair of IMC 2015, CoNEXT 2011.
- Vice General Chair of SIGCOMM2007.
- A committee member of SIGCOMM2011, SIGCOMM2008.
- PC Co-Chair of CFI 2019, IFIP Networking 2013, Future Internet Workshop at CoNEXT 2006, AINTEC2008, AINTEC2006, AINTEC2005
- TPC members: CoNEXT 2020, APNet 2020, TMA 2020, SIGCOMM 2019, APNet 2019, TMA 2019, CoNEXT 2018, APNet 2018, ITC 30 2018, TMA2018, APNet 2017, ITC 29 2017, TMA2017, IC2016, WNM2016, TMA2016, WNM2015, TMA2015, AINTEC2014, CoNEXT2014, ICCE2014, WNM2014, IFIP Networking2014, TMA2014, WNM2013, TMA2013, PAM2013, IMC2012, AINTEC2010, SIGCOMM2009, PAM2009, ReArch'08, AsiaBSDCon2008, QoSim2008, QoSim2009, AINTEC2007, SIGCOMM2005.
- ACM Recognition of Service Award (for contributions to ACM IMC2015). December 2015.
- ACM Recognition of Service Award (for contributions to ACM SIGCOMM2007). November 2007.
- Keio SFC 2016 Spring: Internet measuement and data analysis (in English)
- Keio SFC 2015 Spring: Internet measuement and data analysis (in Japanese)
- older classes